About Allen County Extension
Engaging people to strengthen their lives and communities through research-based educational programming.
OSU Extension is a dynamic educational entity that partners with individuals, families, communities, business and industry, and organizations to strengthen the lives of Ohioans. As Extension educators, we:
Focus on critical economic, environmental, leadership, and youth and family issues.
Engage people in lifelong learning.
Apply knowledge and practical research to the diverse needs and interests of Ohioans in rural, suburban, and urban communities.
Extend resources of The Ohio State University.
Recruit and develop volunteers to multiply Extension's efforts while developing their leadership potential.
Enhance teamwork through networking and connectedness.
Link youth, family, and community needs to scholars in Ohio and nationwide.
Teach with cutting-edge strategies using new technologies and approaches.
A Brief History of Extension
The Cooperative Extension Service system got its start in 1862 when Congress passed the Morrill Act, which provided for a university in each state to provide education to citizens in agricultural and mechanical fields. These colleges are known today as "land-grant universities." The Ohio State University is Ohio's land-grant university.
Congress soon realized that to be effective, the educational function of land-grant universities needed to be supplemented with research capabilities. The Hatch Act was passed in 1887 to establish research farms where universities could conduct research studying agricultural, mechanical, and related problems faced by rural citizens.
Congress passed the Smith-Lever Act in 1914 to establish the Cooperative Extension Service. Some milestones for OSU Extension:
Ohio State School of Agriculture students organize the Agricultural Students Union with the aim of getting the latest agricultural information from the college and experiment stations out to farmers.
Albert B. Graham, a Clark County school teacher who had attracted national recognition by establishing boys' and girls' clubs - the forerunners of 4-H - is named superintendent of agricultural extension at Ohio State, the first position of its kind in the United States.
Ohio agricultural extension trains travel the state carrying agricultural exhibits and offering presentations on farm practices. In 1911, 16 trains made 418 stops and reached more than 45,000 people.
The first Ohio 4-H camp is held in Summit County.
The Capper-Ketcham Act provides extension work in agriculture and home economics for men, women, boys, and girls.
OSU Extension helps carry out New Deal programs such as price supports, production control and rural electrification to help the nation overcome the Great Depression.
OSU Extension works with farmers and 4-H members to increase production as the United States enters World War II. Extension conducts farm-labor recruitment programs, leads scrap metal drives, allocates scarce supplies of fertilizer and machinery, and helps homemakers substitute for unobtainable foods during the war emergency.
OSU Extension hires its first rural development agent.
OSU holds its first in Columbus to exhibit and demonstrate the latest advancements in farm power machinery and agricultural science and technology.
1978 Ohio Sea Grant Extension program is established.
OSU Extension's begins in Cuyahoga County.
, a partnership between the Ohio Department of Human Services and OSU Extension, is created to teach money management, nutrition and food safety to food stamp recipients.